Friday, September 7, 2012

Project Gal Week One

I'm so grateful for being in a facebook group that I can connect with on such a personal level, they never cease to amaze me :D. With that being said, one of the members, Chaudie, came up with this great rubric to follow to help someone achieve gyaru status based on a 6-month, week-by-week schedule. I think I'll start in September and work from there, granted I already have a crap ton of supplies, as well as practiced a few times, but I think having a guideline will make the journey a bit easier. Here's what's listed for the first month of the Project:

Important Note: I no longer follow this rubric, I kinda do my own thing for now, it's much more flexible and less money consuming!

Stage 1: Makeup

Month 1: discovery & Study
week 1: Inspo Pic Farming
week 2: Honing in on What’s Preferred
week 3: Watching videos
week 4: deciding on What to Start with (Shopping)

So far, I've quickly skimmed the descriptions of these magazines and made a list of beauty magazines I'll be looking into. The descriptions are taken from japanesestreets.com for anyone who's interested :)

  1. bea's up - Beauty and cosmetics for women in their 20s
  2. BITEKI - Beauty for working women in their 20s, 30s
  3. CanCam -  Sexy elegance for young women – mote-kei
  4. Happie nuts -  For young women who want to look sexy
  5. MAQUIA -  High quality beauty magazine
  6. Ray -  Mote-kei magazine for women in their 10s and 20s
  7. SCawaii! -  The magazine for graduated gyaru
  8. Woofin' Girl - will obtain more info when I can!
Here's a few definitions of Gyaru, including my own personal opinion:
  1. My opinion - Gyaru is a form of style originating from Japan with various sub-styles. It focuses on enhanced beauty with the use of makeup, hair, and fashion based on a specific category. Gyaru styles can range from eccentric and random, to cute and sexy.
  2. Wiki Definition: Gyaru fashion is a type of Japanese street fashion that originated in the 1970s. Gyaru is most commonly referred to as ganguro, but it is actually a subculture of gyaru. It was popular in the 1990s, but shortly died out in the early 2000s. Gyaru is a girly-glam style, breaking away from traditional standards of beauty by dwelling on the man-made (wigs, fake eyelashes, fake nails, etc.). Gyaru fashion neither fit well with the Japanese traditional culture nor how the media portray ideals of Japanese women. It is often classified as a sign of youth rebellion. Gyaru fashion is typically characterized by having heavily bleached or dyed hair (mostly shades from dark brown to blonde), excessively decorated nails, and dramatic makeup. The makeup typically consists of dark eyeliner, fake eyelashes and cosmetic circle lenses so as to create the illusion of large, anime-like eyes. Extremist tend to get vivid color hair wigs, for example, neon pink or lime green. Clothing pieces for gyaru fashion differ depending on which gyaru style the individual chooses. Popular gyaru models include Tsubasa Masuwaka, Sakurina, and Wakatsuki Chinatsu, just to name a few.
The following pictures are my top 10 looks that just happened to catch my eye, some came from FB some Google, some from some magazine scans :) It's all a random mess of picture I know, but hey, I'm STILL LEARNING :D

Sayoko Ozaki





Romihi


Might not qualify as gyaru, but I love it anyway!



Shizuka Takeda


Ena Matsumoto








No comments:

Post a Comment